Sunday, February 06, 2011

Things to Remember

A few days ago each of the kids said something that I don't want to forget. Moments like these help make up for the hard stuff that goes along with being a mommy.

Joshua: Let me say, first of all, this boy loves his big brother. And his big brother adores him. It's not unusual for John David to get down on his knees and ask for a big bear hug. That's what he did the other day when Joshua jumped into his arms and squealed, "You're my favorite cowboy!!!"

Aulora: I'm not a morning person (Although I'm not a night person either and I get tired in the afternoon. Hmmm. Not sure what that means.) Anyway, we had snow days last week (like just about everyone else I'm thinking) and so I wasn't up early. Aulora woke up first and came into our room. She came to my side of the bed and put her sweet hands on my sleeping face. My eyes were closed but I listened as she prayed "Dear Lord, thank you for my wonderful mommy. Amen." Can you say sweetness?

Julia: Out of the blue Julia asked me, "How many pairs of panties do you think I have on?"
I guessed several times before I came to the number four.
"Do you know why I have on four pairs of panties?"
I told her I had no idea.
She said, "In case I get a spanking then it won't hurt so much."
I asked her, "Are you planning on getting a spanking today??"
"Nope," she said. "It's just in case of an emergency!"

John David: My boy and I have our best times together at bedtime. All the other kids are already tucked in and it's just me and him. This particular night he wanted me to tell him a story. (which used to mean a story from my childhood but I've told him all of those I can remember - multiple times - so for now I've resorted to silly poems and songs and jokes. ) I told him the "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a Bear" poem which he thought was hilarious. (Yes, he's 10. I don't know why it was so funny.) He wanted more. I did the only thing I could think of. I sang an old song I learned in Girl Scouts called "Make New Friends". Do you know it?

Make new friends
But keep the old
Some are silver
And the others gold.
Make new friends.

He looked at me so funny when I finished and then he cocked his head and said, "No wonder you didn't have many friends when you were growing up. You went around singing dorky songs like that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment