Saturday, November 20, 2010

From Irritating to Thought Provoking

As I was driving the other day, I came to a red light. It was a big intersection and I knew the light would be long so I picked up my phone to check for an email I was expecting. Before I even had my emails pulled up, I heard a honk and looked around to see who it was. I noticed the driver to my left, along with her passenger, wagging her finger at me and mouthing, "No, no!"

I was at a loss because it was so unexpected. They rolled down their window and so of course I rolled down mine. She then said, "Don't text and drive!" I just raised my eyebrow and reminded her that the light was red and I never text when I'm driving. (Never mind the fact I wasn't even texting. I don't suppose that would matter though.) She replied, "Okay, just don't do it while you're driving! We're just trying to protect you!"

At this point I just nodded my head slightly and rolled my window back up. I was so irritated. It bothered me for two days straight! I wasn't dishonest with the lady - I don't text or email while driving. I think it just bothered me because she was sticking her nose in my business as if she could tell me what to do. And I certainly wasn't doing anything wrong or unsafe since I was at a long red light. She didn't even know me, but felt she had the authority to speak down to me.

I was so aggravated. Beyond aggravated really. (Which I now see is ignorant, by the way.)

But then the thought occurred to me: this is probably similar to what a pro-choice woman feels when a pro-life person speaks their mind. To them. At them.

I'm not saying those who are pro-life shouldn't speak out, but it really gave me a perspective I've never had before. Just a thought.....

I wonder what you would have done or said if the lady had honked at you?

1 comment:

  1. I think I would have done the same thing. It would have bothered me, too. I don't like getting in trouble

    ReplyDelete