Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Speaking of Our Smell

A posted about our smell. Funny, because I've mourned the loss of our smell. Silly, I know, but it's important to me. We don't have our own house now, so we don't really have our own smell. Not that the smell here is bad, but it is not ours.

On Sunday night, I was finally unpacking the boxes of the kids' clothes and putting them in their closet. When I opened each box, I was greeted with the familiar smell of home. A, I wish I could bottle it up for me and you both. It was enough to make me cry.

Here are some of my favorite things to create my own unique smell:

  • Candles, of course! Burn them often.
  • Reed diffusers from Pier One. Choose one scent and stick with it.
  • Fragrant bars of soap in your drawers.
  • Sachets from Kirklands. Again, choose one scent and make it your own. Put them in drawers, in the bathroom, where you keep your mail. Everywhere! =)
  • Dryer sheets in your drawers. (It's a wonder I have room for anything else in our drawers! Ha!)
  • Good laundry detergent and softener. Always use softener. Suavetel is great and affordable.
Ok, that's it. A doesn't believe me and never has. She thinks I'm keeping some big secret. The truth is, I like the smell of her house. I like to smell the clothes she's given Aulora when I'm missing her. And that's a lot here lately. =(

4 comments:

  1. Yes, your smell is strategic placement of candles and diffusers and sachets - but there's also some kind of magic to it!
    I am convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a great post, la!

    smells are so important and i'd never smelled mine before. jenny comments a lot after i hold one of her boys and give them back that they "smell like kylah". i never knew what that smell was, until...i moved out of my house but still had the opportunity to come back to it. everytime we're home, when i hug michael, i smell our smell. on his neck, right below the side of his chin, right where my nose always snuggles. right there...is our smell. i'm so sad that we're losing that. i'm going to steal some of your ideas and hopefully make our apartment (yea right) smell like us.

    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for all of the great tips...your the queen my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! I printed it off and I am making a checklist. I just can't the sachet smell I like anymore. Thank you again, you are an amazing inspiration!

    ReplyDelete