Thursday, December 06, 2007

Finding My Place

Moving away from what was home for seven years and leaving all my friends behind was no easy thing. Normally, when someone moves, they leave one place but have another place to go to. But we are living with family. We're incredibly grateful for them letting us stay here and putting up with all of us, so I hope this doesn't sound like I'm ungrateful. That's not at all what this post is about.

It's just that it feels like my life is boxed away in a storage room down the street. My friends are living their lives in good old SA, my dog is happily sleeping on my brother's bed in Austin, my beloved trees are probably gloriously red and orange and now belong to some woman named Isabelle, and here I am living day to day just trying to not pass out before bedtime. And hey, have any of you ever tried getting ready for a new baby and nesting in this situation? Seriously - Aulora is still sleeping in a playpen, most of their toys are packed away, all of our furniture is stored, and the new baby's clothes are somewhere in storage along with anything else I could possible want or need. There is no possible way to follow my nesting instincts at this point.

The church here is great, but it doesn't feel like ours yet. Everyone knows who we are but I don't know many of them. I suppose most of them assume we already have friends and don't need any since our family already went there. (John's brother is the youth pastor and his mom is their children's director). Their youth group meets on Wednesday nights and serves to remind me that we no longer have "our teenagers". Our first Wednesday night here we went in the youth service - it was really hard to keep from crying. So I went to the nursery wing with Aulora. I felt quite out of place in there as well. At the risk of sounding childish, I'll just say what it feels like at church. I don't feel "important" anymore. I'm not in charge of anything, I have no authority, and if something needs attention, it's not my place to take care of it. It's not a control thing. It's just a matter of adjusting from what was life for so long.

I know I need to look forward and not behind me, but that's so hard when what's behind you was so great.

What's ahead is going to be even better, I'm sure, but I can't see it yet. And sometimes it's hard to imagine it. But I know that's where faith comes into the picture. Faith that God isn't leading us on some wild goose chase. That's kind of what it feels like right now if I'm not careful to remember that we are following His leading.

The verse at the top of my blog has been especially meaningful to me lately:

"God's love, though, is ever and always, eternally present to all who fear him, Making everything right for them and their children." Psalm 103:17

God's going to make everything right for us and for our kids. We will have a place, in every sense of the word. We will look back and see why we were taken on this paticular path, versus an easier or shorter one. We will see the great things God has in store for us.

John's website, Faith Conversations, is getting closer to being done. It looks great and I can't wait to be able to share it. With so many things unsettled, an up and running website will be a big comfort.

I miss you, friends. I can only hope to find some new friends as wonderful as all of you!


6 comments:

  1. I guess you could say, I have been waiting to hear your heart. I new you seemed distant, but I didn't know for what reasons. We haven't moved on. I just haven't known in what way to reach out to you.

    We lived with Ron and Charity for 2months when we first moved to SA. We had no idea how long we would be without a home of our own. It felt like we couldn't start our lives. We were just kind of living theirs. I remember being so grateful for them and also so ready to get on with our lives.

    We love you. We miss you. It will take time, but you will feel home there soon enough. Can you think of a reason to come for a visit. Maybe in January we could all meet at the FW zoo or something. Don't say it's to cold. You know they have lots of indoor activities. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could come up there and make it feel like home for you! I could even bring my kids over to use your bathroom when we were in your area...just like old times.
    I am not glad that it doesn't feel like home yet, but part of me is...
    That same part of me tells me that SA doesn't feel quite as much like home without you here.
    I am praying for you and all that this change entails for you and your family. I cannot think of a better Scripture to cling to right now.
    I love you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss you and you are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so missing you and I know that things will get better. I will pray for the changes to happen so that your life can get to a normal stage. I know that none of our lifes are normal but close is good. We also know what those people are missing out on a great wonderful friend. We will be here for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan asked me the other day if I missed our house. I told him that I loved the house, but I don't miss the house as much as I miss not being able to do things for the house, like using income tax return to go toward new furniture or decorating for the holidays...things like that. The transition out for me is kinda like the transition in that you are going through. There are times when I feel like I don't really have a place anymore...not that anyone makes me feel that way, it's just weird.
    I hope things settle down for you soon and you begin to feel the peace of God calm your spirit.

    ReplyDelete