Wednesday, December 03, 2008

I'm Not Ready!!!

My little man-child is growing up! There are so many things bringing this home lately and it just makes me want to squeeze him tight and never let go.

Tonight he made his first phone call by himself. Are my children sheltered? He's eight and this is the first time. Anyway, he brought home his best school bud's phone number and asked to call him. We practiced phone etiquette first (as I could totally envision him talking in some weird alien voice when the child's mother answered) and then he dialed the number. He forgot to say "This is John David" and skipped right ahead to the "May I speak with Samuel please?" part, but that's ok. He was still very well-mannered sounding. (Quite the accomplishment if you ask me.) He and Samuel talked and laughed for about 10 minutes until I told him it was time to get off the phone. He was grinning from ear to ear and I could see the wheels in his head turning - a whole new world had just opened up for him!

And then there's this:

I don't have the picture of his exact bed we're getting, but his is just like this except in black and silver, not black and camo. The point being, he's going to be such a big kid with his own room and his own desk for homework. (And legos. You can't forget the legos and that right there should make me feel better. How big can he be if he still plays with those, right?)

He is also losing teeth like crazy. It's a wonder he can still eat. Speaking of eating, the child never stops! I think we might have to follow Dewey's lead and leave a pot of beans on the stove all day for his black hole of a stomach. After I picked him up from school today I had to run a couple of errands and he seriously thought he would die of starvation before we got home. He wanted me to stop at every fast food place we saw and was leaning over moaning dramatically. Puh-lease.

Such a big little man he's turning into.

No comments:

Post a Comment