Thursday, March 12, 2009

Birthday Thoughts

Is it tacky to write a birthday post for myself? I'm thinking not, especially since I'm not soliciting gifts or anything like that. (Please note that any and all gifts will be happily received though! hehehe)

Anyway, I am 29 today. The start of my birthday was great (as great as can be when it's rainy and cold and you have to get up at 6:30 in the morning and you stayed up until 1:30 the night before). John made me breakfast in bed! He tries to act like he doesn't know how to cook, but let me tell you - that man can get around in a kitchen. It was so sweet.

The day went rapidly downhill as I had a 9:30 dental appointment to get my very first ever cavity filled. I can't tell you how nervous I was! I really did think I was going to pass out. Turns out it wasn't too bad, but my knees were like jelly afterwards from being so uptight about it all. And now half my mouth is dead so I feel pretty freakish. Oh well.

We made dinner here at home and the kids made me a birthday cake. I was serenaded a number of times with various birthday songs and was named the "birthday queen" by Julia. There was nothing fancy, but it was perfect.

I've done a lot of thinking lately as this birthday has been approaching. I now have 1 year until the big 3-0 and I would really like to, ahem, polish things up a bit before then. I've done some great things in my 29 years, but it's not enough. I want to do better. I want to be better. And I'm not talking losing weight or giving up my Maggie Moo treats (although that first thing wouldn't hurt too much but let's face it - my Maggie Moo addiction is just too far gone), but rather the important things in life.

The spiritual things. The wifely things. And the mommy things.

So here's to first things first. Here's to stepping it up and allowing The Potter to start spinning that wheel again. Here's to caring for my children like they are the great blessings and rewards the Bible tells me they are. Here's to letting go of the earthly and striving for the eternal. Here's to a one year count down to 30.....


1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday! My birthday is next month and I'll be 29 as well. I can't believe I'm almost thirty! In my mind, that's always how old my MOM is.

    ReplyDelete