Wednesday, May 07, 2008

He's Still Working On Me

I'm making a renewed effort tonight to:
  • spend more quality time with my kids (especially Julia)
  • not raise my voice at them in an unnecessary way (especially Julia)
  • focus on their good qualities rather than constantly get frustrated over their failings
  • put them before me
  • teach them the Word
This comes from a deep disappointment in myself in the way I've handled them lately. I think I've done a decent job for having so many children, but I don't want to give them any less as a parent because there are 4 of them and not just 1 or 2 or 3. They still deserve the best. I'm not beating myself up over anything because I know I'm still learning to be a good parent. I have not arrived. No one has asked me to teach the parenting Sunday School class yet. =) Like the song my MaMa always sang to me said,

"He's still working on me...to make me what I ought to be."

I have four beautiful, wonderful, unique blessings who will be gone long before I'm ready. I do not want their numbered days with us filled with yelling, griping, and busyness. I want to be a "sweet fragrance" in their lives that they will remember long after I'm gone.


2 comments:

  1. what a sweet and noble thing to aspire to. i know the Lord is pleased with your heart.

    you made me cry. and think, "i wanna do that too."

    thank you... it's so easy for me to get lost in my irritation and not realize what a beautiful and wonderful opportunity i have. and i only have 1! so far..

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too!!! The sweet fragrance thing. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete