Tuesday, May 27, 2008

You've Got a Friend in Me (Toy Story, Anyone?)

The other day John David made the mistake of finding me to tell me he was bored. When I was growing up, that was just something you did not want to do because Momma was going to find you something to do so you wouldn't be bored.

I'm pretty sure John David won't be telling me that anymore since he got to sweep all the floors. He wasn't too thrilled about it either. His grandma walked in and said, "John David, you're sweeping the floors - how nice!" He responded, "Well, it wasn't in my mind to do it so it's not pleasant!"

Tonight, as we were laying on a blanket at the park having dinner, he asked Daddy, "Why do movies always have to end with people kissing?" John answered, "Well, they always try to have happy endings." John David said, "I wish they wouldn't do that - it embarrasses me when I'm with my family." He went on to say that it's ok if he's with his friends though. We told him that was silly - we were the ones who sees him naked and all kinds of stuff. He shouldn't be embarrassed around us!

He is just getting so old! He's 7 1/2 so I'm used to the growing fast stuff, but this is new. This maturing and getting wise. Am I ready for this?!? I love how he's fun to be around and have conversations with. He really helps with the younger kids and is such a little man. A funny little man, I should say. He can really make me laugh. Who else swims with goggles in the bath tub? Who else drops their drawers all the way to the ground every time just to stand in front of the toilet to pee? Who walks around squeezing bellies and peeps saying, "Belly belly belly, peep peep!"? (You have to see that one.)

And do you know that he has learned to swim, ride a bike, snap, dribble a basketball, whistle, and say all 66 books of the Bible?

And do you know that I had my very first kiss when I was his age??? I sneaked into the manger prop at our church and kissed another little boy my age. I don't know why - he wasn't even cute. But that's not the point. The point is - I was John David's age!

Anyway, tonight, on that picnic blanket, I was happily envisioning many years of friendship and laughter between us and our children. It thrills me to know that just as my parents were people I enjoyed being around and had lots of fun with (and still do), our children will have that same experience with us. It's sad to think of how fast time is going by, but I really can't wait for all the fun times still to come. I love you, John David!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment