Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Kid Stuff

Here was a conversation we had at the table during after school snack time:

John David: You wanna know who my Valentine is?

Mommy: You have a Valentine?

John David: Yes.

Mommy: It's me!

John David: You'll always be my Valentine. But I have another one.

Mommy: Ohhhh....Who is it?

John David: Brooklyn!

Mommy: Who's that?

John David: She's in my class at school.

Mommy: Why is she your Valentine?

John David: Because we like each other! When I told her I liked her, she said she liked me too!

Mommy: What do you like about her?

John David: I just like her. We have fun playing together.

Julia: Do you know who my Valentine is?

Mommy: Me?

Julia: No-oooo....

Mommy: Daddy?

Julia: No-ooo.....It's John David!

Mommy: Oh...That's sweet!

John David: Is Lover Boy Isaac your Valentine too???

Julia: YES!!!! Hahahahaha!

(As a side note, John David made sure he did Brooklyn's Valentine first this afternoon. In fact, he wanted it to be perfect so he did it twice. I've never seen neater handwriting!)

______________________________________

The kids are going back on their charts tomorrow morning. I made them over the last couple of days and showed them this afternoon. They're both excited about it although Julia is more excited than John David. We practiced getting checks today. If they get a certain number of checks every week then they get to choose from a list of rewards that is on the bottom of their chart. (FYI, a trip to the dollar store is no longer impressive once they turn 7 years old. Bummer.)

One of the things on Julia's chart is "Eat dinner without a fuss". She has been getting better little by little at eating what we are having for dinner. The problem is that it's still with lots of drama. There was a huge improvement in this area tonight, as we were practicing getting checks. Julia is quite determined to earn her reward. (She has already chosen a trip to the movie store to rent a movie.)
_____________________________________

I'm full of ideas on discipline and shaping behavior now that I've finished reading the book I borrowed from the library. I'm starting with the chart (not an idea from the book) and we'll see what needs to happen after that. I'm eager to try some of the techniques. Good stuff, I'm telling you. The book is called, "How to Raise Kids You Want To Keep" by Dr. ____ Day. I can't remember his first name right now. As soon as I try something, I'll post the results.

Ok, American Idol on DVR is calling me. Gotta go.........

1 comment: