Wednesday, October 03, 2007

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Yesterday wasn't really a bad day. It was just filled with annoying, frustrating, and tiring things. I will say though that I never got grumpy about it. It just was what it was and I dealt with it.

Our house was being shown at 11:00 yesterday morning, so I had to make sure everything was perfect and smelling good. I left with the girls at 10:59 and we headed out to run some errands. One of our objectives for the day was to find new boots for Julia since her feet have grown since last year. (Did you see her Sunday running around without her boots on? They fit when we left home but by the end of church she had little blisters on her heels. Poor baby.) This part of the day wasn't too bad since we got to go to the mall. The boots we really wanted were at Dillards and they were only $50 each. That's not too expensive, is it???? Needless to say, we kept shopping. =( I haven't quit thinking about those beautiful boots though. We were able to find some black ones elsewhere, but as for brown we had no luck.

We ate lunch at Chickfila. I LOVE Chickfila but I have to tell you - this was a really disappointing sandwich. It had grissel (how in the world do you spell that? my red line underneath the word won't go away!) and another really weird part that you couldn't even bite off. I'm sure I looked totally classy trying to eat this thing.

We headed home for a short play time before going to get John David. Normally it takes 5 minutes or less to get to his school. It took me 15 minutes yesterday. I sat at the light to get out of our neighborhood for a good 5 or 6 minutes, no lie. Just as it was finally going to turn green a boy on a bike rides up to the corner. The crossing guard got up and pushed his magic button to make all the lights red. When the boy finally made it across, my green light time was done and it was back to green for the other direction. Oooohhhh, I was hot. I maneuvered around and went through the light the other way. I was careful NOT to give our friendly crossing guard an ugly look since I know it wasn't really his fault. It just felt good to be mad at somebody.

I was finally almost to the school when I got to the weird intersection - too hard to explain. The point is that I had a stop sign and the other ways didn't. A school bus was sitting there in the road with its stop sign out when I got there. As it sat there forever, letting all the kids out, the cars were backing up behind it. By the time the bus left, there were so many cars I had to wait for. And of course, many of them got in front of me in the pick up line for school. Deep breath......Inhale....Exhale........

Came home and put Aulora down for a nap. Yea, I get to rest too! Nope, it just wasn't meant to be. Julia spilled lemonade and I got to mop my freshly mopped floor instead. =)

Got dinner started. John called and said he was having problems with the truck - again. He was stuck an hour away and didn't make it home until almost 10:00 last night. So dinner for me and the kids was Totinos pizza. Yum. (Can you hear the excitement in my voice?)

I bathed the kids and as I was drying off Julia I checked through her hair for lice - as has become our ritual since we've battled it lately. I just treated her again on Monday because I found some. We washed everything and sprayed what we couldn't wash. But lo and behold, there were those stupid bugs - again. So after putting John David and Aulora to bed, Julia and I had some quality time treating her head for lice. This is no small thing when your child has as much hair as she does. We didn't finish until almost midnight.

By this time I was starving. I opened the microwave and realized that I had left the chicken breasts in there from defrosting earlier when I was going to actually cook something. There must have been a hole in the bag because there was chicken juice ALL over my microwave. It dripped all over the counter as I was cleaning it up. What a big mess.

As dinner #2 was heating up, John and I acted like monkeys and checked each other for lice. We were clean - yea!!!

My day finally ended with a leftover steak and potatoes from Logan's in bed while watching Law and Order. Not such a bad ending, huh? When it was over, I just rolled over and went to sleep. Didn't even brush my teeth. Yup, that's what I said. And it felt soooo good. =)

7 comments:

  1. Whew what a day. I am tired just reading it. Ah but steak, potatoes and Law and Order....what a way to end the day....my 3 favorite things......

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa! what a day! i'm glad you had a fairy tale ending! ;)

    how's it going with the house anyway? have you had a lot of interest? i'm praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a day for you!!! Looked for you tonight at church - no see. We have some packing paper if you need some. If so, you can let me know here or give me a call - we're in the church directory. Which ever is easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog post reminds me of when my three were little and your Uncle Larkin was flying all the time...fun, yet tiring days! Sounds like you survived my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a day...my word. I have missed reading your blog while I was gone.

    hope you are doing really well...love ya!

    ReplyDelete