Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Julia's Potty Game


If you have read my blog at all then you know that Julia has potty issues. It's made for lots of child-rearing excitement. A little too much if you ask me. I figured out quite awhile back that if I make a game or contest out of using the potty, there are a lot fewer messes to clean up.

The easiest game by far that I've come up with is counting. I say, "Julia, it's time to go potty. I think I'm going to win to-daayyyyy!" The moment I start counting she runs to the potty and tries to start going by the time I get to five. She pretty much always beats me but even if she doesn't she tells me to start over counting so she can win. As soon as I hear the sound of sweet victory, I say "Oh, man!" (in a Dora the Explorer Swiper kind of voice). It's silly but it works.

I always tell her I really want to win and she always tells me no way. Then about a month or two ago she began to tell me that she would let me win on Father's Day. Every morning she reminded me that I couldn't win until Father's Day. I started to get a little nervous wondering if, once Father's Day rolled around, our little game would no longer do the trick. I was envisioning my 4 1/2 year old in diapers again. I was imagining checking out at Walmart with diapers for three children and not just two. (just two - haha - like that's cheap.)

Father's Day rolled around and she was true to her word. I did indeed get to win! It was kind of fun, I have to admit. (Yes, I'm that competitive. I enjoyed beating my little girl in a tee-tee race.)

The next morning was what I was worried about though. I'm happy to report that my fears were not realized. She went right back to beating me and it's still our silly little game. Whew! [wipe forehead.]

Ju---liaaaaaa! 1---------2----------3------------4-----------55555555!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Writing this down. Do you think it'll work on my 2 year old? I'm definitely trying it.

    ReplyDelete