Friday, September 28, 2007

See You Later Bad Grade

Well, after fighting the urge to respond in the parent's comment portion of the progress report with "Interesting Teacher", I expressed my concern over a couple of things. The main one being the spelling grade. His grade was a 70 and he can always spell his words perfectly. I figured out that they were counted incorrect if the cursive wasn't perfect. It seems unfair to dock his spelling grade for that instead of his handwriting grade. I suggested that she at least let them take the test in cursive and print so she could see if they did indeed know how to spell the words. She liked that idea, especially since he's by far not the only child who hasn't mastered cursive. (Hello? What first grader has mastered cursive anyway???)

Guess what his spelling test score was today??? 110! He would have had a 70 except that she had him come up and orally spell the 4 words that would have otherwise been wrong. He also spelled a bonus word correctly that they hadn't studied and only 3 other kids in the whole class got it. I told ya' - he's a smart boy. (And in his defense, his cursive isn't even that bad. He just has trouble with b's and there have been a lot of b words lately.)

Plus, he had happy faces every day this week except for yesterday. He got his name on the board because when it was lunch time he made a little trumpet with his hands to announce it. His teacher apparently thought that was not appropriate. It just made me laugh. =) Don't worry, I didn't tell him that......

Just to clarify for those of you who have posted comments - he is not at a public school. He's in a Christian school and his teacher is a Christian lady. She does only have one child though and it's a teenage daughter. I think everyone should have at least one very creative, energetic son. It develops great patience and understanding. And it's lots of fun!

1 comment:

  1. hmmm...could've fooled me. (about being in the Christian school, I mean.) Sounds to me like the teacher needs a longer vacation or a change in teaching a higher grade level. ;) Good luck

    ReplyDelete