Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Big Mouth Kids

Something funny happened last week that I had forgotten about until I just told John a little while ago. One of Sandy's piano students has 2 brothers that are John David's friends. They were playing together during lesson time and since I was at the desk I could hear their conversation. I should mention at this point that they are black.

John David: Hey, why is your hair so different than mine?

Them: Huh?

John David: Why does your hair feel like that? And why does it look so different than mine?

Them: (amid much laughter) Because we're black! We have afroes! (No, I do not know how to spell that word and neither does spell checker.)

All three of them thought that was so funny and they had a good laugh all together. It was so cute and innocent.

At least that moment of absolute honesty wasn't embarrassing. On Sunday, John David asked a young, first time mom why her baby's head was so huge. Granted, he does have a very big head, but it was still such a horrible moment! I quickly tried to recover by saying that it must be because his brain was so big and that John David should only hope to have such a big brain. The mom laughed and seemed fine. She's pretty easy going so I don't think she was offended.

Then there was Sunday afternoon in the car when Sandy was dropping kids off at their homes. One little girl had come to church for the very first time and apparently comes from a rather poor family. When they pulled in front of her house Julia wanted to know why her house was so ugly. I wasn't there to enjoy that little gem of a moment. Sandy got to have that one all to herself.

How in the world do you teach your kids to keep their BIG MOUTHS shut???

2 comments:

  1. you don't. you keep track of every misspoken word and take lots of blackmail photos and use it all to embarrass them through their teen years... did you learn nothing from youth ministry? paybacks are sweet and easy with teenagers. this is how you earn back what you lose now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kablot. :) Blackmail's the only way to go! Just ask Steven!!! lol lol lol I've already got my stash on J and working on TJ's. It's just another joy of motherhood....

    ReplyDelete