Thursday, January 17, 2008

Oh What Fun It Is To Plunge.....

I don't know if we had extra big pipes in SA or if there are extra small pipes here, but I've plunged more toilets in the last couple of months than I had in all the years we lived in our house. Julia especially has the gift of clogging the potty. She uses soooo much toilet paper and just doesn't understand when to stop. I've tried explaining it to her, but it's just not getting through.

Tonight, she came upstairs to go potty. I came up to check on her and to see if she needed help. If only I had come sooner.....

I opened the door to find her standing mostly naked on the water covered floor. She pointed at the toilet which was filled to the brim with water. Aulora was at my heels trying to go in and it was already close to bedtime. We were supposed to be getting a bath and getting right in bed. But no.

I plunged and plunged. My arm hurt and my feet were getting wet. Gross. Even for a non-germo like me. No matter how hard I tried, I could not undo the damage. I called for John's dad to help me since John wasn't here. He came up and like any man he plunged away so hard that water was flying everywhere. I know it had to be done, but ohhhhhh. It was almost more than I could handle. My only consolation was that it was not yucky water at this point.

We had to use a bucket to empty some water out of the potty. The water was poured into my clean bathtub. Cringe. The clog was finally cleared. We got mops and cleaner and scoured the floor. Of course then the potty had to be cleaned and the bathtub too since it was the draining spot and also where the mops were squeezed.

I think it was only about 15 minutes past bedtime when the mess was finally done. Julia was sitting on the bathroom counter with her dirty feet in the sink during all of this. I washed her feet, ran the bath water and put the girls in. Then it was John David's turn. Poor guy - he got to use the girls' water since we were short on time. He didn't seem to mind.

I was exhausted when the last one was finally in bed. Whew. Who in the world installed the teeny tiny pipes for this house??? That's all I want to know......

2 comments:

  1. Plunging a toilet is one of the most stressful things I can think of. If someone has a seizure, I am calm. But a toilet starts overflowing, and I just dance around in a total panic. The mess is well underway by the time I remember to turn off the water supply to the toilet. Then I plunge and plunge and dodge flying icky water. My house on Forest Park had 'small pipes'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - that's just stinkin' funny!! no pun intended! ;) lol lol lol lol

    ps- I'm laughing with you only cuz I've "been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt!"

    ReplyDelete