Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Call Me Cheap All You Want.....I think I'm Smart

This past weekend we stayed at the beautiful Marriott by the Galleria in Dallas. (No, I did not pay their going rate. Remember, I'm smart. Priceline, baby.) After we paid for our room online I went to the hotel website for directions and noticed that you have to pay to park in their parking lot. We were paying guests and yet we were expected to pay to park our car in their precious little lot. $10 for self parking or $15 for valet. I don't think so, Marriott.

I had my 2 hour drive to contemplate my options. John was already in Dallas so he left his truck at a friend's house and got dropped off. Good job, Johnny. That's $10 we kept in our pocket. (Realistically, $15 plus a tip, because we all know Johnny would have gone for the valet parking. )

When I arrived I scoped the place out. I smiled at the valet guys who were, I'm sure, hoping for a nice mid-afternoon tip, and went on my way. I gleefully drove right next door to the Comp USA parking lot where you could actually park for free. I got out the double stroller and, voila, I had my own little luggage cart. I strolled past the valet guys again, who were by now pretty sure they weren't getting any parking money or tip money from me. I smiled even bigger this time. They just had no idea how much pleasure I derived in avoiding their little parking fee scam.

I think I'll tip myself.......

2 comments:

  1. The Marriot we stayed at did the same thing. The one on the Riverwalk had the same options available. I think it was $20 a night without Valet.

    No Joke.

    I can't remember what the price was with Valet because it wasn't an option.

    We parked in a $5 lot, we were informed that there was no security at the lot we parked in. It was literally right next to the hotel. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEHEHE I don't think there are any parking fees for the hotels here - maybe with all the money you saved you can come for a visit to podunk... Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete