Sunday, August 03, 2008

Green Cake

When I was about 8 years old, my dad had an accident with the lighter for our hot tub when it blew up and burned his face. He had to wear some bandages on his eyes for a while and was stuck just laying around since he couldn't see. In my 8 year old mind, this was the perfect opportunity for some mischievous fun. I had a friend over one afternoon and we baked him a cake - but not just any cake. We thought it would be hilarious to feed him cake that he thought was normal, but, in actuality, would be a hideous green color. I still remember that like it was yesterday and, understandably, it's one of my favorite memories with my dad.

As I've mentioned before, the kids are always asking for stories about when I was little. So of course I shared the tale of green cake. Before I knew it, we had decided to pull the same prank on my dad while we were in Colorado (minus the explosion of course). They were soooo super excited, and if I'm being honest, so was I!


Here they are about to go in and feed Dodie his surprise. It was a white cake with green food coloring and white icing. When I did this as a kid, the cake was way, way greener.

Close your eyes, Dodie!

The moment John David had been waiting on all day.


Dodie's mock horror at eating green cake. (Of course I had to let him in on the secret so he would give a memorable performance.) I'm pretty sure my kids will always remember feeding their grandpa green cake.

2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud on this one.
    I can just picture the poor guy sitting around not being able to see, and your coming up with ways to abuse him. HEHEHE.

    It must be so much fun having those kind of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now i have two great memories of eating funky green cake! woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete