Friday, August 17, 2007

Dinner Gone Wrong....

Dinner was supposed to be soooo good tonight. But it fell quite short. =( At least the fault is not all mine. We planned on a great steak dinner - steak, baked potatoes, caesar salad, and King's Hawaiian Bread. It's hard to go wrong with a menu like that. But we managed it.

First, the caesar salad was gross. It looked great but the dressing had a weird and overpowering dill taste. That's the second caesar in a row I've made that was NOT good. Anyone know of a good caesar dressing? Maybe I should make my own. Let me in on the secret please because I can't find a good one.

Second, the steaks had an awesome flavor but they were well done instead of medium. =( John is normally the best steak griller around but according to him, "the marinade jacked him up." The marinade makes the steak a different color and he can't tell when they're done? Ok, if he says so.

Luckily for us, there's not a third to this story. Everything else was good. And I think the coconut pie I made for later is going to be great.....

Oh, I should also mention that my children have a knack for making me feel so good about myself. I fixed Julia's potato the way she liked it and thought all was well. But I was told it didn't look like mashed potatoes (remember, I made baked not mashed). I explained that it didn't matter what it looked like because it was going to taste good. She didn't believe me. So I told her to close her eyes and take a bite. She covered her eyes and got her bite ready. She started counting. 1....2...3...4...5... Still, she couldn't bring herself to take a bite. John David said, "Julia, just pretend you're eating a pancake, then it'll be good."

Thanks, John David. I love you too. I'm glad you were at least creative enough to invent a way to stomach your mother's horrible cooking......

10 comments:

  1. Poor you! Maybe tonight wasnt the best night for that kind of meal. You never know. You could always turn to bennie wennies =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did you say you were serving pie? We'll be right over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newman's Own Creamy Caesar Dressing - it's the best - always have some in our fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. uh... Don't act like your fabulousness can't make a marvelous meal. The wool has not been pulled over MY eyes...
    I have sampled few that can compare to the amazing LA...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the a certain dressing at Wally world that is great. I think that it taste just like the Olive Garden one. the names is not coming to me right know so I will tell you later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find Caesar dressing to be a little too strong as well. But I have found a Caesar Vinaigrette with parmesan that is really nice if used sparingly. I can't remember who makes it (kraft, maybe), but it is a prominant company that can be found at the grocers that you would frequent. It is also excellent for squirting onto chicken as you cook it stir fry style. That is my favorite way to use it, then put it on top of salad greens or spinach with some feta and cherry tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. at least ya'll were together, right? My kids are so picky that I'm just happy they eat something besides hot dogs & chips! Besides, it will give them memories to talk about (the night we had gross ceaser salad!) lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the pancake idea. You can't go wrong with a pancake.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dressing we used last night was Newman's Own so that one's out. I've also tried the fancy kind that sits in the refrigerated produce section. It was the same. We always love ceasar at restaurants but never at home....

    ReplyDelete
  10. So go out to eat already! hehehe
    Red Lobster. Yeah. There's a winner...

    ReplyDelete