Monday, August 27, 2007

Introducing Mr. and Mrs. Cheap

We went to Chili's for lunch yesterday. We had coupons for free kid meals so it was a no brainer to go there. As soon as we sat down, our server solicited us with their charity chilies you can buy for $1 each and color. I don't even remember what the money goes toward. I felt super pressured though and said that we would buy one. So she gave us one.

John David colored the chili, we ate our lunch, and our bill was brought to us. I checked it and noticed that we had been charged for 2 chilies, not 1. This really aggravated me. I hate being solicited for stuff anyway, but now I'm being charged for more than I agreed to. The worst part was that we couldn't say anything without looking super cheap. Especially since we were already going to use coupons.

It's not that we don't give. We do. But we give at church. We were only eating out because we had coupons to begin with. But I didn't want to say anything so I handed the check to John and told him he had to say something if he wanted it taken off.

When the server came back he handed her the check with our debit card and said very nicely, "Uhm, it looks like we were charged for 2 chilies instead of one." The waitress said snidely, "Oh, well it's no big deal. I'll just pay the dollar for the chili."

So she was rude, we were cheap, and one awesome looking airplane chili is hanging up on the wall at the restaurant. What a lovely lunch.....

6 comments:

  1. Just so you know. Logans has $2 kids meals all day on Monday and Tuesdays as well as 2 adult meals for 12.99. Their is a wide selection of meals to choose from at that price so I thought it was a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like to use the word affordable around here. But cheap works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She should have at least given you the other chili for Julia (or you) to color.

    Off the subject... Remember our only publication of the youth newsletter the first year I worked with y'all? I was thinking about that today. That's all. I was just remembering how much fun we had that night. That's all. What was it called?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so weird that you thought of that! I looked at it just yesterday as I was going through my file cabinet! It was called "The Paper Cut". Yeah, that was fun. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that God wants us to be good stewards with what (little) money we have. There's nothing wrong with being frugal. ;) I don't go anywhere that doesn't have a kids' meals for under $2.00. lol

    ReplyDelete