Monday, August 20, 2007

Smart Mouth

On the way to school this morning:

John David: Mommy, what kind of bird is that over there?

Me: Well, I'm not sure. I don't know too much about the different kinds of birds.

John David: It's black. It must be a crow.

Me: It is black, but that doesn't mean it's a crow. There's other birds that are black too.

John David: Well, it's black so I would suggest to you that it's a crow......

He would suggest to me? What is he, a lawyer? This little man really cracks me up sometimes.

On a side note: I've been thinking that when he asks me all these questions (so very many of which I do not even begin to know the answer to) I should start trying to at least sound more intelligent.

When they're little, they ask sooooo many questions that after a while, you just start saying I don't know, even when you do.

When they get older, the questions are still many but now they are more complicated. I really don't know the answers.

When we were younger, My mom mastered what is known to many people as "rear talking". Talking about something you know nothing about as if you are an expert. She used to fool us with her oh so smart answers, but we caught on as we got older. After a few sentences, which were always infused with a couple of scientific yet very made-up words, we would realize that she really didn't know the answer to our question at all. It's quite the family joke now.

I'm not at all saying that my mom is not smart. She is very smart. Have you ever tried to make up scientific answers to stuff? It's not easy. I stink at at. She's probably smarter than the people who actually know all that stuff for real.....

3 comments:

  1. lol - those are just his leadership skills developing!

    Whenever the questions get too tough, I just say, "Well, I'm not sure. I suppose that's just the way God made it." And who can question God?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should enlist the help of not only your mother but your pal kablotspot whose mastery of rear talking is significant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to say that my husband is the master of "rear talking". I still fall for his answers 8 years later!

    ReplyDelete